Green Hills Memorial Park on Veteran's Day November 2011, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
U.S. Flag at Veterans Park Redondo Beach, California
Whaling Wall by Wyland, Redondo Beach
Seabirds on the beach, Redondo Beach
Seagull at King Harbor, Redondo Beach
Sunset Redondo Beach
EL REDONDO CHAPTER HISTORY
The organizing members of El Redondo Chapter, NSDAR, completed organization of the new chapter on May 19, 1947, and received the California state charter number 103. Reaching back to the days of the Spanish Dons in California history for the chapter name, the members chose "EI Redondo." The name ... Spanish for "round" or "circle"...was used to describe the semicircular shoreline of the Santa Monica Bay, along which the then small towns of El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Redondo Beach and Torrance were scattered. It is now known as "The South Bay" and most of the members are residents of this area.
At one time, all this territory formed a part of the princely domain of 75,000 acres given as a land grant to Juan Jose Dominquez in 1784 by the King of Spain for his faithful service to the crown. Thus, the name of the chapter El Redondo, links the present to the past and to the colorful days of California under the flag of Spain. El Redondo Chapter was the recipient of the "Freedom Foundation of Valley Forge" award for outstanding community programs in 1976. Two El Redondo Chapter permanent markers have been installed. The first was placed in 1976, for the bicentennial of the United States, at Alondra Park in Redondo Beach. The second was placed in 1988 at Constitution Park in El Segundo.